SwagBucks

Monday, April 20, 2009

Miss USA recap

My friend, Gabrielle, who competed in the Miss USA contest last night didn't place, but I was thrilled to see her on TV! Way to go Gabrielle!

Did you catch the pageant last night? If you didn't, you should check out this YouTube video. In short, Miss California was asked by Hollywood gossip blogger Perez Hilton and pageant judge about the legalization of gay marriage. Her response was as follows:

Well, I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what? In my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be, between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.

If you don't know, Perez Hilton is homosexual and has been very verbal about it throughout his celebrity-dom. Following the pageant, he made a vlog (Video blog) on his blog about how Miss California gave "the worst answer in pageant history." I think that dubious honor goes to former Miss South Carolina 2007. He also said, "She got booed!" which is interesting because whenever I re-watch that video, I can't hear the booing. I suppose in person it may have sounded differently.

Interestingly, Miss California finished as the first runner-up. Many news stations are wondering if she would have won first place if she hadn't answered truthfully her feelings on the subject. According to the vlog by Perez Hilton, I can guess that the score he gave her for that answer was incredibly low. He also said if Miss California would have won, he would have gone on stage and snatched that crown off her head. I gotta wonder if there is going to be some sort of look into the judging practices of the pageant if contestants are penalized for answering truthfully. (I don't suggest you try to find his vlog on his blog if you are sensitive to profanity, which is why I did not link to it here!)

I found the answer given by Miss Arizona to be more comical. She was asked by judge whether universal health care should be a right for American citizens. Her response was to cite "integrity" as the only thing you need. Huh?

1 comment:

Filbert said...

Somewhere I saw that the winner, NC (?) also answered the gay marriage question saying she opposed it. Was her answer more coherent, or was it more wishy washy, or is that not at all true that she got the same question?

And, for the record, I had no idea who Perez Hilton was until I saw the yahoo news piece last night about this. Useless queers who make their so-called living off of other useless celebs don't typically appear on my radar.