SwagBucks

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Guys and Dolls

I just got home from a Junior High rendition of "Guys and Dolls".

If you don't know the story here it is briefly: A set of gamblers are setting up a big game. Meanwhile, Sarah is trying to save souls at the local mission. Long story short, the gambler falls for the mission girl and vice versa. Guys do crazy things when there is a girl involved.

The musical in general is entertaining and funny and all the things a musical should be. However, the musical made me uneasy. There is a conflict between Sarah and one of the gamblers, Sky, about him being a "sinner" and her being pious. She eventually falls for him and throws her concerns (and morals?) out the window.

The whole musical somewhat makes a joke out of the Christian faith. There are several jokes at the expense of the evangelists in the play. They are really there for comic relief. The pinnacle of this is when all the gamblers show up at the prayer meeting because Sky "won" their souls in a dice game. They all give fictitious testimonies of their conversion to the Lord.

Now, I can laugh at myself just like anyone else. So, I'm walking away from this musical taking a look at myself and seeing myself in some of the characters. I guess it made me think about my own faith, which probably wasn't the original intent. But if any piece of art causes me to take a harder look at myself, it gets a thumbs up from me...even if I do feel a little uneasy about it!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

You have won the "Your blog is Fabulous" Award! Check it out at The Copper Brick Road